DOCK 180

Celebrate 180 Years of the Royal Albert Dock

In Liverpool’s rich maritime history, the Royal Albert Dock plays a revolutionary role.

From its opening in 1846, engineer Jesse Hartley’s pioneering designs were key to transforming the city’s fortunes, helping to secure its position as a 19th century global maritime superpower.

Architecture composed entirely of cast iron, brick, and stone, using methods first used in textile mill construction, made the Albert Dock buildings more secure and fireproof – ideal for storing valuable good such as tea, tobacco, wines and spirits.

Now, 180 years on, that original landmark structure is one of the most recognisable visitor attractions in the UK and worldwide. Here’s how the Royal Albert Dock creation and transformation became such a pivotal part of Liverpool’s heritage and its future …

1841:

The Dock Act passed by Parliament allowed work to begin on Jesse Hartley’s plans for the Albert Dock

1846:

HRH Prince Albert officially opened the Albert Dock with great ceremony even though the five blocks of warehouses were not completed until 1848

1878:

A hydraulic pumping station (now the Pump House pub) was added to provide a power supply

dock-before-1 dock-after-1
1921 (Courtesy of the Archives Centre, National Museums Liverpool, Mersey Docks and Harbour Board collection, MDHB/PHO/1666).

1952:

Grade I listed status was awarded to the dock in 1952

1971:

Albert Dock was last used and in 1973 the whole South Dock system was abandoned

dock-before-2 dock-after-2
1962 (Courtesy of Tate Liverpool, Philip Collins collection).
Dock-180-Then Dock-180-Now
1980s (Credit, unknown)

1980:

The Maritime Museum opened as part of Merseyside County Council’s revitalisation of the waterfront

1981:

Merseyside Development Corporation was created to renew areas of dockland

Dock-before-6 Dock-after-6
1980s (Courtesy of the Archives Centre, National Museums Liverpool, Philip Collins collection).
dock-before-4 dock-after-4
1980s (Courtesy of the Archives Centre, National Museums Liverpool, Philip Collins collection).

1984:

Water finally returned to the Albert Dock

1988:

Refurbishment was completed, it was reopened by HRH the Prince of Wales and Tate Gallery of the North opened

2018:

The dock was officially granted a royal charter, becoming the Royal Albert Dock Liverpool

Source - National Museums Liverpool
dock-before-3 dock-after-3
1980s (Courtesy of the Archives Centre, National Museums Liverpool, Philip Collins collection).
dock-before-5 dock-after-5
1980s (Courtesy of the Archives Centre, National Museums Liverpool, Philip Collins collection).

Cookies on the Albert Dock website

We use cookies on our website. By continuing to use this site, without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies in accordance with our Cookie Policy.